Thomas Ritchey was one of Washington County's first settlers. He built the original structure of what is now known as Conger House. In 1855, following the death of Mr. Ritchey, Jonathan Clarke Conger purchased the farm and house.
Jonathan and Jane Conger completed an addition to the original house in 1867. Mr. Conger was a boot maker by trade and later worked in real estate and investments. The Congers' youngest daughter, Clara, married C.J. Wilson, a local attorney.
The Wilsons moved into the property and made alterations to the house and added a den on the west side to display Mr. Wilson's extensive gun and Native American artifact collections.
After Wilson's death in 1936 the house was vacant for many years. In the early 1950's, the house became the Pines Supper Club and in the 1960's it was the Pines Nursing Home.
Conger house was opened to the public as the Jonathan Clarke Conger House Museum in 1973.
Since 1989, the Washington County Historical Society assumed responsibility for the care of the house now known as the Conger House Museum.