Washington County Historical Society
[On the map of Highland Township, notice the numbers of the cemeteries to assist in the
location. Should they currently be on private property, be sure to obtain permission before
#35 = SALEM
in Section 24, east off Yucca Avenue and north of 205th St.
The oldest marked grave is that of Lydia McGuire in 1866 at one year of age. Parents were Michael and
#36 = HARRISBURG
in Section 22, east off Willow Avenue and south of 190th St.
#37=LITZEY (also known as KENTUCKY), is located in the northeast corner of section 12, south of
170th St., on the west side of the Louisa-Washington Road. The land was owned by the LItsey family
at the time of the deaths of two sons. Henry C. Litsey on Aug. 21,1859 and Robert O. Litsey on May 30,
1863. Parents were James F. and Mary E. Litsey. This family and the Owens family came here
from Breckenridge County, Kentucky. Perhaps that’s how the cemetery was also referred to as the
Towns of Highland Township